Moving Day

One of my current consulting projects is migrating SharePoint 2007 sites to SharePoint 2010 for a large, global company. This is a major undertaking and will require a significant amount of investment from both my customer and myself. My plan is to document our challenges and successes throughout this endeavor here.

Migrating SharePoint sites is a lot like moving houses – preparation in advance makes for a much easier move. Moving is a pain (as is migrating) but the goal is to make the pain as minimal as possible.

Recently my family and I moved across the country. When deciding what to pack, I used the one year rule. If it was something that I had not been used within the past year, then it was not being packed – rather it would be discarded or donated. In migrating SharePoint data, I have a similar approach. The client decides the threshold but typically if data has not been modified in over 2 years, it is a candidate to not be migrated.

Preparing for a migration? Evaluate the existing data first and see if needs to be migrated. Stale, unused data can be removed, making a better SharePoint experience for our customer.

Comments