Surface Tablet - a 360

The last few weeks have been hectic with a SharePoint migration but I now have time to write a new post. On my last post I stated how I was going to wait on purchasing a Windows Tablet. Well I have now done a 360 degree turn and own a Microsoft Surface tablet. Let me provide my reasoning.

I was looking for a portable device that I could carry with me most days rather than my laptop. My daily activities include email, Lync, One Note and accessing files via Office (utilizing Sky Drive). SharePoint Development is not something that I will do on a tablet (RT or otherwise). Given this scenario, the Surface table (running RT) would work very nicely for me.

Last week I purchased the Surface Tablet and admit that I am happy with it. The keyboard is nice and I am getting accustomed to typing on it. The performance has been good and I am able to now work on the go without always carrying my laptop.

The negatives have been published by many and I confirm that the app availability leaves a great deal to be desired. Price point is a little higher than I think it should be.

At this point Microsoft still has not released a time frame for the Surface Pro version but if you are looking for a device that can help in managing emails, utilize Lync and Office then the RT Surface is something to seriously consider.

Comments